Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Lying

Can lies be ethically justified?

2 comments:

peacemonger said...

Depends on the lie. So, I guess my answer is yes, in certain circumstances. I understand that this is a slippery slope in that if I cite a certain situation, it opens arguments for others. However, I would say that lying to a spouse (by omission) to cheating on them, if it was a one-time only thing and never to happen again, would be merciful and justified. Who knows, really, though. Good question.

JfloG said...

Definitely up to the individual. But, leaving it up to the individual poses many problems, because what gives you the right to deside what should be revealed and witheld from you by others? Too many problems. You are on the side of hiding things for what you might think is a good reason and fare, but for me its not. This some may argue is what makes lying never ethical due to the fact that someone will always disagree with your logic. One time thing isnt reason enough for me. It seems as though your description of a ethical lie is only ethical because it protects the relationship, but are you really being fare to your spouse or are you just being selfish? Because, lets be realistic, telling the spouse the result could result in the end of the relationship all together. Life of lies. Scary.