Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What kind of car do you drive? Do you?

I dont have any real stats, just speculation, but I would argue that somewhere around 96% of car owners do not own a car that produces zero emission. The percentage could even be higher, because car companies did their best to remove all zero emissions vehicles from the hands of those who drove them and discontinued any production of such a vehicle. Has anyone even heard of such a vehicle? A zero emission vehicle?!?!?!?!? Whats that? That is what myself and others are trying to prevent people from saying. There is such a vehicle, but where is it? Why dont I own one? How can I own one? Can I own one?

2 comments:

Ruairaidh said...

I drive a Prius. :-) But I think you knew that. It's an Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (AT-PZEV). So sometimes my car produces zero emissions. You can modify the Prius to run solely on electricity, but then you have the problem of electricity generation. Zero emission vehicles do exist right now, but in general they aren't practical.

You're right, though. Automakers and oil industry leaders aren't interested in producing ecologically friendly vehicles. Supposedly it isn't economically viable, but I would argue that we simply have to reinvent our consumption structure around clean energies. Oil companies should go into the business of harvesting clean energies and producing products that use those industries. We can reinvigorate our economy and re-train people who currently work in the current industries to work in the new.

Truth And Journalism said...

I drive a u-lev civic si, ulev means ultra low emission vehicle. Then again I modified the exhaust and the intake, but it still is a lower emission vehicle. If you watch the discovery channel, they have a show called future car, which talks about related issues. dsc.discovery.com/convergence/future-car/future-car.html