Saturday, February 17, 2007
The feasibility of electric cars in a society addicted to oil
Is it in anyway plausible to think that our society could gradually and eventually be driven by electricity? No more gas powered, deisel fuelled, and oil burning loads of metal. Is it possible? If it is how do we get there? Is that even the best solution? Is it one of many solutions? Is it even really that important? What do we do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am enjoying your provocative posts. :)
I really think about that electric car issue. I drive way too much and wish I did not have to. However, I was thinking...would I drive more if I thought the car was more ecologically friendly? That's what I wonder.
One huge issue that people would argue about why electric vehicles are no better than gas powered vehicles is the question of whether or not it would actually help, because the energy that would be used to power the vehicles would have to come from somewhere initially. Most of which is currently derived from Coal burning powerplants. Imagine a world with nothing but electric vehicles. With our current forms of electric production compared to all gas powered vehicles, would the power plants produce less than the vehicles would? I dont know the answer. But, I do know that we are already using powerplants that produce toxic gasses along with using vehicles that do the same on a much greater scale. Now we have a combination of the two. It only seems logical to think that without one or the other things would be better, but we need one more than the other until we find a solution. We need the powerplants. We already have a possible solution for the vehicle crises. It is just a matter of a lot, I mean a LOT of things to make it happen. Some of this is just speculation, but there are many solutions or contributions to help releive our problem.
Post a Comment